View Single Post
Old 23-01-20, 10:43 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default dehumidifier running costs

I've been using a dessicant dehumidifier for a month and have just received my energy bill. My electricity usage is stable over the year so I know that it's cost me an extra £10 (plus the dehumidifier itself, obviously)

I've partitioned the garage using heavy plastic sheeting so that the dehumidified volume is roughly 3m x 1.5m x 2.5m (approx, the roof slopes). The dehumidifier is set to 60% rH.

It's a concrete garage and when first erected (during the heavy rains in Sept/Oct), the rH was in the 90 - 98% range. After coating the floor with PVA followed by a liquid DPM and then 2 coats of a 2 part polyurethane paint it dropped. Last week with the cold, sunny weather the rH was in the low 70s, today in the murky, misty weather it's 80%.

Why did I bother? Water would drip off the bikes because the humidity was so high and when I had a Triumph all the switches caused problems requiring them to be stripped and cleaned regularly. I tried using a fan pointing at the bike which helped to alleviate the problem a little but the Meaco works much better. I'm emptying the water tank every 36 hours or so - it does support a drain hose but I haven't got around to that yet.