View Single Post
Old 25-01-20, 09:21 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: dehumidifier running costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I've been using a dessicant dehumidifier for a month and have just received my energy bill. My electricity usage is stable over the year so I know that it's cost me an extra £10 (plus the dehumidifier itself, obviously)

I've partitioned the garage using heavy plastic sheeting so that the dehumidified volume is roughly 3m x 1.5m x 2.5m (approx, the roof slopes). The dehumidifier is set to 60% rH.

It's a concrete garage and when first erected (during the heavy rains in Sept/Oct), the rH was in the 90 - 98% range. After coating the floor with PVA followed by a liquid DPM and then 2 coats of a 2 part polyurethane paint it dropped. Last week with the cold, sunny weather the rH was in the low 70s, today in the murky, misty weather it's 80%.

Why did I bother? Water would drip off the bikes because the humidity was so high and when I had a Triumph all the switches caused problems requiring them to be stripped and cleaned regularly. I tried using a fan pointing at the bike which helped to alleviate the problem a little but the Meaco works much better. I'm emptying the water tank every 36 hours or so - it does support a drain hose but I haven't got around to that yet.

Have you identified the cause of the damp? And have you added ventilation if there isn't already any?
Insulative board might help to stop the temperature changes being so drastic and keepo the condensation off, but if there's so much moisture present it sounds like the problem will continue...and that will also be an expense.

edit, just seen the above has been addressed - I'd add air bricks, you need air circulation. Or continue with the humidifier until the concrete dries out. I take it they put a physical moisture barrier under the concrete?

Last edited by Dave20046; 25-01-20 at 09:27 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote