Thread: We know this...
View Single Post
Old 26-05-20, 08:13 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: We know this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by proze View Post
Thank you for those links. Sent me down an hour of reading about crankshaft design. So awesome! I wish I'd trained as a MechEng.

Some more light reading LOL - the take away message is that inline / parallel engines always have problems with vibration that have to be dealt with in various ways ( counter-rotating balance shafts etc. ) - but a 90 degree V twin has intrinsic perfect balance. I must say that when I first rode a SV650 I was very impressed with lack of vibration at all revs, and that lovely V twin sound was more than an added bonus - Harley-Davidson is a 45deg V twin and on tickover the whole thing shakes and the front wheel moves back and forth by inches as the pistons thrash around. IIRC later Harleys have balance shafts etc and for most Harley owners the vibration thing seems to be part of their charm LOL

My early riding experience with British parallel twins was white fingers from the vibrations ( like people who work on jack-hammers a lot get LOL ).

Been out on SV twice in last week after lockdown lifted a bit and can't stop grinning - it always has that effect - got new Avon storm 3D tyres as well and they are great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-05-20 at 08:24 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote