View Single Post
Old 09-10-20, 01:02 PM   #3
Bike27

Default Re: Valve clearances at 30k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
AL7 just back from 30k service - no valve adjustment necessary all "well within spec" to quote mechanic.

I had the chain and sproclets replaced too, not because they were worn (they weren't) but as precautionary step. What's the life of a chain?

I normally use Castrol Power synthetic oil but the dealer uses semi-synth, so I requested synthetic and they used Silkolene. It may be imagination but it has improved an already brilliant gearbox.
Good to hear valves all still in spec at that mileage. Two of the four clearances were out on my 390 Duke at 5000 miles. Took me hours and hours to get it apart and back together, due both to the way the engine is squeezed into the chassis and how all the plastic bodywork fits together. On the other hand could check and adjust the clearances on my BM flat twin over a couple of cups of tea. Not even bothered to think about ease of access on the SV yet due to it not being due its first check for another 11000 miles, a milestone at my current rate of use I might hit by the end of the decade.

Is that the original chain you've just changed at 30k? If so that's very impressive longevity unless you are using a chain oiler.
Bike27 is offline   Reply With Quote