View Single Post
Old 19-11-20, 10:27 AM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
As Grant says. I use hotels a lot and in the last couple of years I've only been to one hotel that had charging points. They will catch on though and then charge through the nose for the service like they did with wifi.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
They already had phone lines to the houses though (okay they did do a fibre rollout...still ongoing 15 years later)

I don't think the impact and cost of the infrastructure needed should be underestimated. Hotels and service stations aside, the draw a car charger port takes is massive - if every house hold did it (over night) I don't think the grid could keep up...I also wonder if the street cabling could take it!

My main concern is the fact that I don't think battery technology is quite there (hopefully would be soon?!). We've gone from burning fossil fuels to mining lithium (also finite) and burning fossil fuels to charge the lithium. I've not looked at how much lithium goes in a battery and how long a battery last etc but I'm hoping someone's done the sums! I'm somewhat sceptical 10 years is enough to do all of the above.

Aware I now sound like a whackjob conspiracy theorist after my oil monkey joke..

Last edited by Dave20046; 19-11-20 at 10:28 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote