View Single Post
Old 04-12-20, 10:16 PM   #112
Ruffy

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
We may be looking at a world where if I need to get from A to B I'll tap my app, an autonomous vehicle will arrive, take me to B. I don't need to worry about buying it, maintaining, parking or charging it.
Can't see this ever quite happening myself. Maintenance and cleaning will be the issue. A lot of current owner-driven taxis are pretty grubby inside - I wouldn't want to sit in many for extended periods when sober.

Also, would you risk being the passenger in a poorly-maintained autonomous vehicle at risk of crashing?

IMHO, cleaning and mechanical maintenance will be the areas where owners seek to compromise in order to maximise the asset availability, leading to a pretty unpleasant experience (depending on previous occupants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
We need to stop thinking about the future as an extension of the status quo and consider alternatives to mass individual vehicle ownership.
Although I do concede that is a good point. I recall a quote I heard in the past: "A developed world is not one where everyone has a car, a developed world is one where the well-off use public transport" (Source unknown).
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote