View Single Post
Old 05-12-20, 09:57 AM   #113
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

I was musing the other day about what will happen with independent mechanics. Grant’s point about changing the thinking about vehicle ownership probably settles that - eventually they will have no reason to exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
It may be a fair cop, guv. I was referring to the technical point about local electricity distribution not being able to cope, subtlely different to having enough number of charging points which I think is where this thread started.

But, in any event, I knew it wasn't me and thought it right to admit it!
I don’t think I articulated it very well but was wary of cabling capacity to houses as well as grid supply and if original designers had anticipated large draws from every house hold down the line . Mainly an observation triggered by working in an office where the lady folk thought it was a good idea to put an electric heater or two under all of their desks and kept flicking the fuse box back on until the cabling in the walls started burning . I’ve just removed fabric cabling and wooden back boxes from my own home, but hopefully city infrastructure is a bit more up to date that domestic one offs! And then there’s the more obvious ‘is there enough power available’ , looks like they’re working on it though.