View Single Post
Old 27-01-21, 01:01 PM   #5
Bri w

Default Re: It's happened again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
True, as the Americans say: "hindsight is always 20/20"

However, BoZo has constantly been slow to react during this crisis. He didn't show up for the early COBRA meetings, he was still telling people he wouldn't stop shaking hands, he never closed the borders, he introduced the tier system not expecting people to drive from a high tier area to a lower one to get to a pub. Transferred patients from hospitals into care homes (with no testing), didn't supply PPE to care homes. Insisted that schools remain open. Resisted listening to the science... whilst claiming he was. Gave confusing messages about lockdown rules. His government (Priti Patel) then started a campaign to blame the public. We had two deputy Chief Constables on our local BBC channel and neither of them could say what "local" meant in terms of exercise.

They have been talking about quarantining arriving visitors since Friday and still not implemented it.

Piers was correct.
Looking from outside the UK, I couldn't believe the Cheltenham Festival went ahead. But in terms of when the UK imposed its first lockdown and travel restrictions the UK wasn't that far behind other European countries.

Cobra meetings; does a PM attend every Cobra meeting? No they don't. Should he have been at all of them? Not sure he should but, again, in hindsight maybe he should have gone to more.

Transferring people out of hospitals into Care Homes to free up bed space; right idea but appallingly handled. Who is to blame for the implementation? BoJo? Hancock? Local health boards and Trusts?

Not getting PPE to Care Homes; 95% of Care Homes are private. Surely they are responsible for what's in their store cupboards.

Poor public response to the Tier system and the lack of responsibility shown by members of the public; over here in Spain the police powers of enforcement are stronger but there were €10m worth of fines in the first lockdown. People get fined more, and then more again if they argue. People have custodial sentences over here for breaking lockdown, and still there's people breaking the rules. How people respond is up to them, not Boris. Having rules and people following them is two very different things.

Quarantining visitors, or even allowing them in in the first place; you can't get into Spain without a Residencia permit, or are Spanish. Once here the Police visit every day to ensure you are self-isolating. Fined if you don't. Can people come and go in the UK as they please. I know of Brit Expats who have gone back to the UK and have been tracked every day.

As for talking about stopping people coming in and implementing it; Same here in Spain. It doesn't happen overnight. The current lockdown being a prime example. Notified on a Wednesday that there would be a meeting on the Friday. Announced on a Sunday - should say confirmed really. And implemented at midnight on the Tuesday night.

I'm no Boris fanboy. Personally, I think he's Trump-lite, and I'm shocked that the UK is daft enough to have its own version of Trump. But to blame him for everything, and out of the lips of someone like Piers Morgan...

In terms of enforcing lockdowns I'm happy to be here in Spain rather than the UK. As for the vaccine rollout, I wish I was in the UK.

But everything wrong? No, and definitely not from the lips of that waste of oxygen, Piers Morgan.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote