View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 01:33 PM   #9163
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Meaco tech support - I'm running a Meaco Zambezi dehumidifier in the garage in a plastic-sheeted off area for my bikes. Last week, in the cold spell with daytime temp about 2°C, I checked and the louvre on the unit was closed. The louvre is powered open and can oscillate but I have it normally set at 90° ie wide open. The louvre closes when power is off but the unit was powered up although it wasn't responding to the keypad, however you could scroll through the menus. I cycled the power and it resumed operation. The display indicated that the rH was 69% although the demand humidity was set for 60% rH.
The manual says the unit will not operate below 1°C but doesn't say what will happen and I'm assuming that the temp dropped below 1°C overnight.

I emailed Meaco and, after 5 or 6 emails I still haven't had a definite answer to how the unit will behave at low temps. One tech support person said that it will shut down but check the room humidity every 30 minutes and resume operation when conditions allow. When I found it, the temp displayed was 2°C and 69% rH so it should have been running. I mentioned to them that I'd bought a 135W tube heater to keep the temp above 0°C but another person said this isn't necessary. Yet another asked for a video. Why? It's working now what will a video show? One person asked for a photo of the display...
I suspect they don't know the answer and are simply reading from a script. Anyway, there's a new cold spell forecast so I won't bother with the heater and see if I can replicate the failure (it's still under warranty).

My questions should have been answered in one email.