View Single Post
Old 13-02-21, 10:55 AM   #5080
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
If you realise that they send the techs to your house to dust off the boiler and polish the case so that they can tick the 'boiler serviced' box with the intention of selling you a new, latest 'fad' boiler. And BG are eye wateringly expensive when they install the new boiler that you didn't need anyway, it takes a long time to pay for decrease in fuel use you may or may not get when you have just paid >£2,500 for a new extremely complicated boiler, and if you decide to get Alexa or Hive controls at the same time you can double that cost.
I had to stopo myself from saying before but that is exactly my experience with BG. I paid for homecover with them on an older boiler, when it broke 9 engineers turned up couldn't or wouldn't diagnose it and a few tried to condemn it instead for reasons ranging from 2cm too close to a window (which wasn't the reg at time of installation), insufficient water flow rate (it had worked for 12 years prior), pressure release valve dangerous (it pointed at a pitched roof and ran into a rw down pipe, IF a burglar was scaling my roof at the time of me over filling the boiler I could have been sued ), and then more plausible reasons like chipset failure. I ended up replacing the solenoids myself for about £5 and it worked for another 7 years (possibly still going now).

Oops I'm bordering on gripe territory. Smile is I have a new boiler with 10 year warranty from a reputable local firm now and it's warm quiet and shiny.

Last edited by Dave20046; 13-02-21 at 10:56 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote