View Single Post
Old 30-03-21, 07:55 AM   #9370
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
As things stand it is a fact that it IS a right and you are legally entitled to drive if you have passed the driving test and your vehicle is taxed and insured.
There is a difference between a right and an earned entitlement. Driving is NOT a right, when I was born I did not have the right to drive. I earned the entitlement to drive when I passed my test. This may seem like a semantic argument, but I think goes to the heart of the poor driving standards currently plaguing the UK. Everyone thinks they have a 'right' to drive - they do not. The privilege of driving un-supervised is earned through passing a test at the appropriate age. This privilege can be revoked through being un-fit due to health or by being found to not meet the required standards. A right cannot be legally withdrawn.

A lot of people seem to think they can drive like ****s because they have a 'right' to drive, when in fact they should be working to maintain their standards as the license (an earned privilege) to drive can be removed. If we were in the lucky position of having enough police officers to effectively police driving standards laws a lot more people would be losing their licences no matter their age.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Last edited by Luckypants; 30-03-21 at 08:30 AM.
Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote