Thread: The Veg Plot.
View Single Post
Old 28-06-21, 07:57 PM   #135
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Just an update re my no dig bed. Its been very successful up to now. The lettuce are the best in the garden. I left a couple of shallots in the no dig the rest planted in the existing garden. They look just as good as each other. The beetroot in NDB are looking really good, soon be ready for harvesting.
On the main plot, where appropriate I now compost then put cardboard down and plant through the card.
Cuts down on weeding which I detest.
Pleased to see the no dig approach paying dividends, good for you for sticking with it.

The weeding is something I don't mind, especially if it's hoeing. I find it quite relaxing really.

We've done quite a bit of planting through cardboard here on these beds I'm working with at the new place. Where possible I've added a layer of mixed soil and horse manure and planted through that. There wasn't enough compost ready here to build up the beds to a no dig level this year, but I've made composting as much material as possible a priority now ready for next year.

There is a very large veg growing area here spread over 12 beds, all of varying sizes. Some of the smaller beds I mulched with a thick layer of horse manure as soon as I started working them, so next year they may be ready for the no-dig approach. The rest may take a couple of years to build up.

Last edited by garynortheast; 28-06-21 at 08:01 PM.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote