View Single Post
Old 23-08-21, 06:12 PM   #1
Blapper

Question Running problem driving me nuts!

Hi Guys,

So, I moved house and the new house was a massive renovation job which took me 2 years 2 months to finish. When I finished the house, I taxed and insured my 2001 SV650S for some me time and fingers crossed, tried to start it. It had been stored in a warm dry garage for that time. The battery was fine because it was on an optimate, so it did start but it ran like a pig with popping and banging in the exhaust and spitting back through the carbs. I shut it down and chucked away the dodgy petrol that smelt stale and put new fuel in it. I took the carbs off and blew them through with carb cleaner and my airline. It ran a little better, but still not right. I took the carbs to my local suzuki mechanic who stripped and ultrasonically cleaned the carbs (twice) and gave them back looking brand new. The bike runs better. It pulls like a train and is smooth as silk after about 1/8th throttle but when ticking over is plip-plip-popping quietly in the exhaust.

It is a 2001 bike in super-clean condition and has still only done 15500 miles from new. It has 7000 mile-old iridium plugs in it. I have so far disregarded any kind of HT related fault because the problem is only there on a tiny throttle opening and goes away completely after 1/8 throttle. Usually HT problems get worse as he cylinder pressure goes up in my experience.

Now I love my SV, but as it is fully faired, it is a lot of work just getting the damn thing stripped and drained down so I can see the job and having done it three times now, it is getting right on my tits I can tell you. Can anybody give me suggestions based on their SV experience on what this can be please?

I will be unbeleivably grateful if anybody can give me a pointer on this!

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Blapper; 23-08-21 at 06:15 PM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote