View Single Post
Old 04-12-21, 08:32 PM   #2758
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: The All New Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
As long as you don't constantly top up lithium iron batteries they last a lot of charging cycles. Check out the Fully Charged channel on YouTube - Robert Llewellen (Kryten to most of us) has a gen 1 Leaf from 2011 that's only just had a battery swap for a better used one. Cost per mile, even factoring in the newer battery pack, is peanuts so so well worth doing.

I still buy my cars outright as keeping one six to eight years before replacing gives you a lower average annual cost of ownership. Anything older has a higher risk of parts failing. Plus you have a trade-in asset. I've had older cars in the past that needed minimal cost to keep them going and I don't see leccy cars being much different.

When we're forced to go 100% leccy for cars and bikes I'll invest in solar panels and a power wall battery or two.

If EV owners fall for the 'let the grid use your battery as storage' because renewables are so damned unreliable the number of charge discharge cycles will be disconnected from car mileage or age, you could buy a 5 year old EV with 40K on the clock that has run out of charge discharge cycles supporting the grid... Also fast charging damages the battery, and some vehicles will only allow a fast charge once a day at most.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote