View Single Post
Old 19-12-21, 12:11 AM   #369
svenrico

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
Nope, overpopulation results in slum conditions as seen in London during Victorian times with the poor crammed several families to a single house.

If I was to ascribe it to anything, I would suggest that the current high prices are due to people wanting to buy their own home. It is seen as an appreciating asset, and everyone wants to get onto the housing ladder. Contrast this to many of the countries in Europe where people live in rented apartments for decades without feeling the need to buy, buy, buy!! They must think we're crazy!

If we look at somewhere like Spain, property prices there have roughly doubled over the last 25 years, which is broadly in line with inflation. So if we take out general inflation there has been pretty much zero growth in real terms property values. Sounds great, but it results in houses in some areas being very poorly maintained because there's just no reason to spend money on them. In rural areas they can even be left to collapse. All down to economics again, or maybe they're crazy!!

Just my thoughts,

Keith.

P.S. I suspect their inheritance system is also partly to blame for some of the collapsed houses. It's just too complicated, and expensive.
Yes ,overpopulation and cramming in one area resulted in slum conditions but there wasn't overpopulation of the whole country.
Not sure about the inflation argument, house prices ,around here at least, increased by about 10% from mid 2020 to mid 2021 .
I agree maintenance and repairs can be expensive , I live in a rural area and I haven't seen any being left to collapse around here though. In fact in a previous existence I was involved in the conversion or renovation of old buildings and in a lot of cases it would have been easier to just demolish them and build anew. They weren't left to collapse anyway.
The renting rather than buying situation you mention is interesting but that is the situation we are coming to here where young people just can't afford to buy to get on the property ladder.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote