Thread: Asimov quote
View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 09:15 PM   #8
Ruffy

Default Re: Asimov quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
Ooo, I like this. In the past I've used " 'Democracy' is not the same as 'majority rule' " to try to get across a similar point. Others frequently can't see the distinction. (For the avoidance of doubt, mine is not an Asimov quote though!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
... he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.
Overcoming 'confirmation bias' and 'group think' does seem to be one of the most challenging aspects of debate nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
This sounds like one or two we have here as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
We're all guilty of it to some extent Chris but I like to think that Organs on the whole are polite enough to at least listen to others and not automatucally reject what others say whilst spouting constant insults about everyone they feel are "different" to them. This guy's bigotry is turned up to 11 along with his attitude.
I see myself in the mirror on this on occasion - I know I'm an opinionated git at times.

But I hope I usually fall within Trev's set and, yes, I agree the org is a more balanced place than most on the web.

Surely the point of debate is to try to find out what is right, not to be right? Sad that the process has been corrupted nowadays in the rush for instant gratification, popularity or publicity. I consider myself a scientist - I query and challenge for understanding, not to demand my point be accepted (though sometimes it turns out I am fortunate enough to be close to the best truth). Also, I often play devil's advocate to deliberately present alternatives that I may not agree with personally. Sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly. I try hard to generally remain open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of the time. (Although it probably doesn't always come across that way - my natural style is not 'shouty, shouty' but I've had to adapt to the way of the modern world and I know I'm not very good at it!)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote