View Single Post
Old 12-04-22, 04:35 PM   #2661
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Oh yes, the smell of Linklyfe warming on my mum's cooker I don't think she was quite as enthusiastic about it, mind ....

It was great stuff, though, as it was so thick even when the chain was warm after a ride that it didn't fling, didn't get washed out in rain etc and didn't really attract muck.

On split links, it was interesting watching Allen Millyard's latest video about checking, MOT'ing and riding his V10 Viper-engined bike. I noticed the final drive chain had a split link - and that motor puts 450bhp and 490 lb-ft to the wheel, and has regularly done over 200mph in speed trials.

Several other people had noticed the same thing and commented on the video. Allen's reply was that the chain was specially-rated up to 1000bhp for drag racing. So evidently split links are more capable of handling big power than accepted wisdom would have us believe!

Well the pin and side plate still take the force even on a riveted chain, all the split link clip is there for is to stop the pins working their way sideways out of the chain... When you get a DID chain ( IIRC ) they supply a split link and a link for riveting - I will probably use split link next time - but you have to fit clip so that open end is the trailing end.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote