View Single Post
Old 31-07-23, 08:58 PM   #11023
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I suppose my gripe is about human frailty. I looked after my Dad as he was descending into the abyss of dementia - eventually not recognising me. Now my neighbour has started on the same path. Jean is a sociable, chatty, 80 year old lady that would do anything for you but her forgetfulness is now obvious to anyone.

Three times this week she has been shouting out of her window at passersby that she was locked in, another time she stopped me to say she was locked out because she'd put the chain on the door (forgetting she exited through a different door). Fire truck turned up 2 nights ago...(to open the door). She keeps hiding her keys and forgetting where. She asked me if I'd seen her Mum and where Roy (her deceased husband was).
She doesn't have any direct family but a once-removed step daughter (it's confusing) comes round and we all pitch in. She is adamant she doesn't want to go into a home but I think it would help her to be around more people on a regular basis - she's the type that thrives on company.

I sincerely hope they get a fix for this hideous disease.
Both my mum and my wife's Mum went through this, before they passed away.

Luckily my mum still recognised me up to the end, and was a gentle dementia sufferer, but it was horrible to watch her fade away in a few months that she was in care. At least the home she was in was so lovely and they were brilliant

It is a horrible disease
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote