View Single Post
Old 06-11-23, 06:57 PM   #2762
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Back to adjusting the gears on my mtb this afternoon. I think it's time for a parts replacement and refurb. The chain and complete gear set are as old as the bike - 23 years old, and have seen better days. I think a front fork and rear shock replacement are due as well.

About 6 years ago I did a rebuild of my half suspended bike (both of them are vintage Halfords Apollo bikes). The half suspended one got new forks, sprockets front and back, front and rear mech, bottom bracket, pedals and crank arms, and brakes. It had always ridden quite nicely, especially for a budget Halfords, but after the refurb it was absolutely lovely to ride. The gears in particular were just faultless. The whole lot cost me just £135 in parts - money well spent!

So I want to do the same to the fully suspended one, but with the addition of a new air shock on the rear in an effort to keep the back wheel on the ground a bit better on rough going.

I know some people can be a bit snooty about these Halfords bikes, but I have to say that they've had a pretty hard life and nothing has broken, failed, or fallen off in nearly a quarter century.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote