View Single Post
Old 17-03-24, 05:50 PM   #14
Ruffy

Default Re: Tyre change

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I have one of these for the bead.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176246479...mis&media=COPY

These days as far as balancing goes I don't! Tyres are much more accurately made now and as long as the red dot goes by the valve you shouldn't have a problem. What needs balancing is the wheel, and once that's done it won't need doing again.
I'm sure someone will have a different opinion on this but my view is formed from 8 or 9 years of changing my own tyres.

A bead breaker, a tub of tyre soap, rim protectors, and a selection of decent quality tyre levers is all you need, along with the determination to learn how to do the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
Bead breaking: an 8" C-Clamp
Balancing: static with axle on a couple of jack stands
Thanks both. Definitely food for thought.

I've seen several DIY 'heath robinson' rigs for beab-braking and balancing (and Gary you're not the only one who I've heard suggesting that balancing is less necessary nowadays - at least for smaller tyres at legal road speeds.)

I will probably have at least a couple of sets to change this year so I may indulge myself in a few bits and pieces and learn. (Being the family maintainer overseeing multiple vehicles can be a double edged sword!)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote