View Single Post
Old 20-12-04, 07:10 PM   #5
mysteryjimbo

Default Re: Active Directory - Printer management using GPO's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedVenom
Scenario:

We currently use roaming profiles for almost all our users here at work (5000+ node international company). With the introduction of AD and DFS, we're looking at the possibility of changing everyone to local profiles. Now, there's quite a few hurdles to overcome in this - however the one that's of most interest to me is regarding printers.

Problem (solutions?) :

I'm looking for a way to automate the addition of a selection of printers to users when they first log on to a new machine. I initially looked at using GPO's to do this by using the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry entry, but have fast come to the conclusion that this isn't going to work due to missing print driver issues. So next I stumbled upon using the login .bat to add printers as follows:

Code:
echo Checking for installed printers

IF EXIST "%userprofile%\printers.txt" GOTO end
RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /in /n "\\%PRINT_SRV%\printer1"
RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /in /n "\\%PRINT_SRV%\printer2"
copy p:\printers.txt "%userprofile%\printers.txt

There by only installing the printers when the user first logs on, and also overcoming the problems with drivers.

Basically I'm just looking to see if anyone else has undergone the same sort of transition, how they achieved it, if group policy has been used in this way before, if there are any other ideas.. etc. I did have a check of all the usual resources before posting this, but I can't find anywhere that suggest that printer installation can be automated with GPO's. Bit of a shame really.
You're right you cant do it using GPO's and AD. Something that is missed out somehow.

You can include user logon scripts in VBscript though.

This one works.
  • ' Set printers
    ' ******************************
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim net
    Set net = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    net.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\ServerUNC\Printer name"
    net.SetDefaultPrinter "\\ServerUNC\Printer name"

It really is that simple.