View Single Post
Old 25-06-05, 11:39 PM   #9
Anonymous

Default Re: Assen Moto GP-Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
I asked a Dutchman who I work with and he suggested it was a religious issue. I suggested he was taliking ********, as Im fairly certain that Rossi and Gibernau will be catholics, and it hasnt stopped them yet.
Mr Wheelnut, I am not sure that your friend was talking those "man-things" at all! (Oh, please! Don't use that word.) It's nothing to do with Valentino or Sete's religion though.

The Dutch TT is something like 80 years old, and originally held on a very long course of public roads - just like "our" TT in the Isle of Man, the Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Le Mans etc. Assen was something like 28 Kms long (say 17 miles) and ran rather near to several places of worship and, as I recall from Uncle Edgar, that was why it didn't run on a Sunday. I can still remember the public roads section, but it is now a wonderful purpose built race-track of course (few car races and mainly for bikes); the tradition of running on a Saturday remains.

It always used to be on the Saturday immediately following the IoM TT - Uncle Edgar never quite made it there as his feet were still burnt.