View Single Post
Old 31-07-05, 04:40 PM   #1
embee
Mega Poster

Default Front Brake Switch - is it me??

Has anyone else had the front brake switch play up, or is it just me?

Took my H0nd@ in for MOT, having checked everything over beforehand, only for the front brake switch to play up and the light only flashed on briefly. I have a very understanding MOT man who said yes, he saw it work (for a few millisecionds anyway ).

At home, checked it out and just as the lever was moved a fraction the light would come on, but when the lever was moved more it went off again.

Took the switch off and took it apart. They are not made to come apart, but will! there are 3 plastic pillars inside one half which go through holes in the other, and are then melted over. Careful prising with a stanley knife and screwdriver and they pop out!

The contacts are over-centre things, which then wipe across as the button moves further. Black dirt on the contacts meant that the first point made contact and the light came on, but then it moved onto a dirty part and it went off.

The contacts are very soft (silver alloy?) material, so very gently cleaned them, covered in vaseline, checked electrical contact, and refitted. Now all seems fine.

OK, you say, that was a H0nd@, what do you expect.

......except the SV uses the same switch and that didn't work either when I checked it! Same problem, cleaned/lubed and it seems OK.

Is it just me, or is this more common?
embee is offline   Reply With Quote