View Single Post
Old 17-11-05, 03:30 PM   #41
Ceri JC

To re-iterate what others have said:

Don't go the whole way on the motorway, you'll miss some cracking roads. I recently went up to Leeds from Cirencester and instead of a quick blast up the motorway after work, I took the afternoon off work and went a far more circuitous route. Slower pace, stopped for a breather and to admire architecture etc. fairly regularly. Sit down meal at a pub rather than a Ginsters in a services, etc.

Towards the end, when I realised I was in danger of being late, I just joined the motorway and blasted for the last half hour that way.

If you can afford the time off work I'd strongly advise doing it that way.

RE: Practicalities, waterproof suit (I recommend the Spada 406) is a must, spare gloves are a good idea too. Give your boots (if they're leather rather than plastic) a few coats of dubbing (let it soak in overnight between coats) as it'll help prolong their waterproof qualities. Likewise, give your luggage and trousers/jacket (if they're textiles, not leather) a few coats of nikwax. Again, it won't make them 100% waterproof, but it'll prolong the period of time before they start to leak.