View Single Post
Old 26-01-06, 10:27 PM   #9
Ed

Guys - a few thoughts, I know both of these places well.

MW is a bigger site, no doubt. Plus it has the kitchen etc. A very pretty spot. However it's a bit of a stagger up the road (busy, and uphill) from the pubs in MW. Quite a few walkers/ramblers use the site. MW itself is a nice spot, small, deffo a village not a town, pitch black at night and you'd hear the owls and the nightingales. As re the B&Bs - well put it this way, Much Wenlock is not the sort of place that springs to mind when I think of bike meets. Getting out of the campsite would be a right turn onto a busyish road - the A458. The BP garage is on the other side of the village, but not far, heading for Bridgnorth. However MW could be a good place to start, in particular cos it gives a headstart on the route. But you'd miss the Cressage straight on the A458 between S'bury and Cressage, it's 2 miles straight as an arrow with excellent visibility, and also the ride up Wenlock Edge.

Montford Bridge - on the west side of S'bury, also very, very pretty, in the grounds of The Old Swan pub - good food too - right next to the Severn, so may be some midges around in summer, and if you're plastered there's a falling in hazard. There's another campsite on the other side of the river, Severn View or something I think. I'll have a mosey down, it's only a few miles away from here. Funny, I pass through Montford Bridge when I go to Ellesmere Port one day a week & never take any notice. It's a quiet road through MB (the old A5). No PFS in MB, the nearest is here at Meole Brace (pronounced Meal Brace). There's a big retail park here, so that would be a good place to start (John is right - the car park at Dobbies on the A5/A49 roundabout is hell on earth to get out of), and also there's another big car park behind the BP PFS here. Plus, Meole Brace is about a mile and a half from S'bury town centre. And you get the fabulous Cressage straight. Lots of B&Bs on the south side of S'bury.

If we start at Much Wenlock then on the way back we could cut off the bit from Newtown to Shrewsbury via Welshpool, and take the A489 from Newtown via Churchstoke to just above Craven Arms, up the A49 to Church Stretton (busy, but not far), then right at the traffic lights in CS onto the B something-or-other to Much Wenlock (this road's one of John's favourites!), all ace biking roads.