View Single Post
Old 27-06-18, 09:53 AM   #12
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insurance Q: awareness course or points & fine?

What happened was this: I was approaching Blaenau, heading North (uphill) on the A496.

Came up behind a slow-moving Micra (doing 40mph uphill where the road is NSL). Continuous traffic the other way, so no immediate chance to overtake.

Then all the traffic in the other direction passes, but there's a left-hand bend approaching. Car in front is still doing 40, I've got enough time to squirt round before the bend. I commit to the overtake, am past the slow-moving vehicle and pulling back in, crossing the dashed white line back to my side of the road just before the bend when .... the police car comes around the corner.

I carry on (should've done a runner ), I see in my mirrors the police car has turned around and is following. I get pulled over.

I didn't watch the dashcam footage. In discussion, the officer said I caused him to have to manoeuvre to avoid me. I'm not 100% sure that was the case, but maybe I did.

I don't think I failed the 'attitude test' as I did stop as quickly and safely as possible, got off the bike, took my helmet off and spoke politely. The officer did all of the bike tax / insurance / license checks before deciding to issue the NIP.

Being honest with myself, it was an impatient overtake, but it wasn't a dangerous / swervy overtake. As luck would have it, the cop car was the ONLY car coming the other way, so if I'd waited another 5 seconds I could have been past the Micra and away without hassle. That's the lesson I've taken from the incident.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote