View Single Post
Old 25-06-18, 01:12 PM   #1332
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Great explanation there, Bibio. Do you have a dual-nozzle oiler, i.e. it oils both sides of the chain?

This is a stupid question but it's puzzled me for a while: how do the single-nozzle versions work with o-ring chains? How does the lube get from the nozzle side of the chain to the other, when the o-rings stop the oil getting into the pins & rollers?
no i dont have a dual nozzle fitted.

an o'ring chain is "sealed for life" with grease on the link pins. no amount of spraying lube or oil will usually pass the o'rings, you dont want it to as it will "wash out" the thick grease and replace with thin oil.

the absolute worst thing you can do is jet wash a chain as it forces water past the o'rings and removes the grease. if your going to clean a chain then use some paraffin on a rag and wipe the chain, if you are really anal and want to clean between the plates then use a soft brush and some oil.

when you oil an o'ring chain your just lubing the rollers between the plates to stop wear/friction between the rollers and sprocket faces. this is why a single feed from a Scottoiler works just fine as long as you place the output nozzle 1-2mm away on the face of the sprocket as high up away from the chain as you can get it. centrifugal forces then push the oil on the face of the sprocket outwards and onto the rollers/sprocket teeth. the reason people end up with oil everywhere using a Scottoiler is that they try to drip feed the oil as close as possible to the chain and have their drip rate set too high. you dont want to oil the o'ring.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote