View Single Post
Old 11-11-05, 10:49 AM   #1
coombest

Default Personal Injury claim

Well, as most of you know, I was involved in a rather nasty accident last November (yep - it really is a year nest week! ) and since then I've been recovering and dealing with the insurance and Personal Injury claims.
I lost out on the insurance claim, with them offering me stupid money for my (previously!) immaculate bike and then not paying me all of what my riding kit was worth, even though every single thing was wrecked!

Needless to say I don't at all like nor trust the third party's insurance company (Norwich Union).

My Solicitor had asked them for an advance, interim payment to be taken from my PI claim...

...Instead they came back and offered an early, full & final payment of just £20,000.

This is one hell of a lot less than I was expecting but after receiving the details in a letter from my Solicitor, he think's that's not too bad!
There are also implications associated with turning the offer down!

If I decline it and later on, get awarded less than this, I am liable for all costs incurred by both parties from the date of the first offer!

The second medical report will be taken in August 2006, so I would have to wait until at least then before anything is done.

I am getting incredibly fed up with the whole situation and would like to simply draw a line under it and start my life over again.

I have been rather silly with money in the past, running up a sizeable chunk of debt and this is making it rather difficult, as I was made redundant at the end of July and have started my own business, so could more than do with some cold hard cash!

After thinking over everything, I decided to send back a counter offer to them!

We've asked for £28k and that'll be the end of it.

That'd allow me to clear my debt, buy a second bike ( ), put some money into the business, allowing me to buy a better van than I could afford now, etc. and actually create some savings.

I wish I had the money to not worry about it and the mentality to stick it out any longer but I've had it!
It narks me that they could get away with so little for nearly killing me but knowing how my luck always goes, it's probably not worth any risk either!

Dunno why I've posted this - I suppose I just needed to tell some people and I also wonder what other people would do in a similar situation.