View Single Post
Old 15-02-16, 07:47 PM   #1
agy

Default Need help with PCN

Hi Guys

I hope maybe someone can give me suggestions on what arguments to use to have any chance of winning this. My first challenge was rejected so I'll try again but looking to build up my case more.

I live and work in Wandsworth. Common knowledge in this borough: you can park on the pavement. I even made extra sure few years ago by calling the council to confirm it is in fact legal. They said yes. No one ever mentioned there may be exceptions.

I have been parking on the pavements of Wandsworth for years without issues. Especially one particular pavement near my work as there is lots of room for people to pass and it's a side street too. Never had problems until last week when I got the PCN. I thought this is rubbish as clearly I've done nothing illegal to the best of my knowledge and in fact did what I thought was right and proper by calling the council in the past. It said I was parked on a single yellow during restriction hours. I challenged it by saying I was on the pavement, not on the road where the yellow line is. Never been fined there before in all this time. Turns out there is a rule I or anyone I know has never heard of - if there is a yellow line, it actually applies to the pavement too! I hear this is in fact true but how on earth was I meant to know?

They said it's my responsibility to ensure I am parked legally but for goodness sake, if you check to make sure and someone says yes, you leave it at that. Me and another bike have been parking in that bit for a long time (he got a ticket that same day too).

I am very annoyed as it's not like I'm some opportunist hoping to get away with an act I knew was wrong. I followed the correct procedures and now I have a blooming fine when I can certainly be spending this money on essential things.

Can anyone suggest anything I can challenge them with?