View Single Post
Old 16-02-16, 05:27 PM   #10
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Need help with PCN

You may consider this a case of "fine print", but you certainly haven't been conned. I'm guessing that at some point you passed your driving/riding test and that this contained an element of the Highway Code? Read rule 145 (mine's the 2007 edition, if you have a different one then look up "Pavements" in the back). It tells you not to drive (ride) on or over a pavement.

Failing that look up "Parking" in your Highway code. Rule 244 (again might be different in yours) but that specifically tells you not to park on the pavement in London (which I think Wandsworth is) because it's a specific offence under section 15 of the Greater London (General Powers) Act 1974, regardless of how many yellow lines there are.

Incidentally, before anyone else points it out the legislation quoted by the HWC in rule 145 is a load of tosh. It cites the Highway Act 1835 sect 72 which is all about riding horses or tethering livestock on a footpath or part of a road set aside for pedestrians, and the Road Traffic Act 1988 sect 34 which is about driving elsewhere than on a road (and a pavement is most certainly part of a road), so neither piece of legislation is appropriate to riding a motorcycle on a pavement.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote