View Single Post
Old 02-04-15, 07:24 AM   #12
speedyandypandy

Default Re: Pirelli SC's and tyre warmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSV View Post
Interesting topic this. I dropped my pressures a few psi for my last trackday to 30 front and 32 rear when cold and both tyres ended looking like this. Not too bad I guess, but I maybe need to drop pressure a little further? They were much worse on the previous trackday despite riding slower.

I think tyres warmers should be banned from trackdays unless there are power sockets available - the continuous generater noise drives me mad. The riders with slicks and warmers and in the novice group make me laugh though!
Yes, your hot pressures for the front should be around what you just wrote, but always check with the spec sheet, but an educated guess would be around 30-31 front and 29-30 rear, always lower rear pressure.
Some rear tyres (D212) has a 'hard' rubber carcass, and should be around 20psi hot, so checking your spec sheet is important.

Tyre warmers for novices are "head voodoo" helps confidence, but more than likely hot tyre temp is lower after a outing than going out.

For info, I dabble in race weekends and trackdays, I change my tyres myself, and balance them myself. And bring along laminated spec sheets for all my different tyres.