View Single Post
Old 03-04-15, 12:36 PM   #17
wideguy

Default Re: Pirelli SC's and tyre warmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro53 View Post
So I'm a bit confused. It looks like the SP is the road version and SC are track. The reason I believe this is that the SC tyres are only sold by track vendors in the US. It also looks like the SC's are harder to get compared to the SP's here in the UK. Are the SP's more forgiving? Meaning that I should get the same steering and roll feel? In other words since I am a novice and don't want to tear up tyres from the lack of knowledge about them, would it be moire cost effective to run the SP's for a while till I get faster. Or am I just over thinking this.
If you aren't using them hard enough, race compound tires won't heat up enough to grip well, so it's possible for a novice track rider to have less available grip from race tires than from street sport tires. Modern street sport tires, especially dual or triple compounds, will allow you to drag your pegs on the track in pretty fast turns. If you aren't doing that, you don't need race compound tires.
You can lower the tire pressures on your race tires to make them heat up at a slower pace, but they might start to feel squirmy under braking and acceleration at the low pressures. If you do run them, watch for signs of cold shearing or overheating, try to be smooth on the throttle and smooth on turn ins and transitions and don't just snatch the brakes full on. That's good advice anyway.