View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 06:58 PM   #97
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
In France you pay for a tariff according to what max power/current you want, the lower the cheaper. I guess modern houses tend to be higher, but it certainly wasn't uncommon back in the day for the supply to be 3kW/13A.

It is a bit of a reality check to consider what the effective equivalent "power" is for refuelling with petrol or diesel. A typical forecourt petrol pump delivery is around 30 or 40 lt/min (commercials a bit more). Petrol contains around 43MJ/kg, which is a bit over 30MJ/litre round figures. So at 35 lt/min and 30MJ/lt that's over 1000MJ/min, or 16MJ/sec (=16MW or 16,000kW)
A petrol engine might average out at around 25% thermal efficiency, so taking that into account to compare fairly with a BEV, you'd still be looking at about 4MW (4,000kW) to recharge a BEV at the same "effective" rate as refuelling a petrol car. That's never going to happen.
I don't know what the maximum realistic charge rate could be for a BEV in the future, battery/charging technology permitting, but if it ever got anywhere near that I'd be extremely surprised.
It does put charging rates into perspective. There's a lot of energy in petrol.
If you watch a video on the Harrys Garage YT channel about the Porsche Taycan, he goes to charge it at a 'pay at pump' electric charger. I don't know the day or time of day he charges it but the cost was 10p a mile (25 miles added, at a cost of £2.50). Which is the rough equivalent cost of an ICE that does circa 50MPG. Most modern cars are not far off that in the equivalent combustion fuel cost.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote