View Single Post
Old 15-08-09, 11:54 AM   #70
RichT

Default Re: Thank you from the AR09 Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
He sounds like a hoot! Rich, you onbviously have the experience, so you're not going to have problems whatever dog you get. Sorry......I always try and advise people to be cautious as you always get inexperienced people getting dogs they can't handle and the dog ends up in a rescue. This is not you, so apologies!

I reckon, whatever breed you get and however "testing" they can be, Mrs T will find her inner task master! I used to go out and see clients and for the ones that didn't have the strong voice or assertive manner, I would get them to treat the dog like it was a child about to run in front of a car. You don't ask it nicely to come back, you bl00dy tell it and expect it to and if it doesn't you make it! I had a policewoman once that was scared to stop her dog jumping up on her. I said, "do you let people you're arresting jump all over you?" she said no and from that moment, completely changed the way she was the dog. Because she became more assertive with the dog, she was able to have more fun with it and more cuddles.

The one breed I really want is a South African Boerboel.......they are immense, powerful beasts, but really loyal and loving!
No need to apologise GG - I think we'll be ok so long as we're realistic going in and understand what we're getting into, i.e. breed.

First thing is a bigger place.