View Single Post
Old 25-06-14, 07:16 PM   #5
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Default Re: S*d it, I'm away up north - inspiration?

How's the fuel situation up around Durness area for a Sunday fill up..?

I've got the guts of a route coming together now (thanks muchly to all of the above suggestions), which'll take me from:

FRI EVE - Moffat to Fort Augustus (quick splash n dash at Fort William) after work - 200 miles / good 4 hour+ ride and I know a decent hostel/campsite there.

SAT AM - Fort Augustus to Ullapool (the wiggly way, via Gairloch) - 165 miles / 4-4.5 hours, filling up at Fort Aug before I set off.
Find a chippy and petrol station in Ullapool and fill up the bike/belly.

SAT PM - Ullapool to Durness (again, the wiggly way via Lochinver) - 85miles / 2-3 hours. If I can fill up on Sat night in/around Durness, that'll buy me 150+ miles riding (certainly as far as Inverness) on the Sunday if things are a little sparse up there?
Camp/hostel up that way for the night, have a wander and see what sort of mischief I can unearth.

SUN - Durness to Dumfries - Ooh 'ech, this'll be a big 'un! Take the wiggly road via Tongue/Lairg down to Inverness for fuel. From there, the East side of Loch Ness looks inviting, then retrace the steps back down via Fort William, and maybe do a wacky detour via Argyll Forest towards Dunoon, hop on the ferry and skip out Glasgow/M74 and head for home via the A713/Galloway Forest Park.

That way, if I'm knackered I can always juke across onto the M74, tuck in and head for home.

Original idea had been to head via Dundee/Fife and then down the A7/St Mary's Loch road but I'd forgotten about the BSB at Knockhill and all the souped up power-rangers that'll be swarming the roads around there, so avoid that area like the plague I shall...

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 25-06-14 at 07:17 PM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote