Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 02-04-17, 10:58 PM   #83
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

Lets turn our attention to the rear brake. Its a drum rear, I did consider a disc brake rear conversion using TZM wheels, but for reasons that will become apparent later I decided to stick with the drum.

I don't have a picture of the original drum back plate from the bike off of the machine, so this is a spare I have. A fairly simple design and I suspect is used on other models with a spacer to allow the wheel to align.

The trouble is I don't like the idea of trying to line a loose spacer up with the wheel, drum back plate, and other spacer against the swingarm while trying to get an axle through. So I had an idea and took the back plate and spacer to Rolling Art to weld on. As the back plate is aluminium and they needed to take it elsewhere to weld, the trouble is the spacer is steel.

Anyway due to a little confusion and scheduling I had time to make an ally replacement and took it up to Rolling Art for them to weld on.

The problem was they had already made me a replacement ally one and had it welded on. To be fair theirs was better than mine as they have an angle in there like the original and I just have a shoulder, however I now know how to make that.

And if you were wondering the steel spacer weighs 30g my ally one weighs 10g. I've also painted the back plate in Halfords aluminium enamel high temperature spray paint, 4 coats then cooked at 250o for an hour. But this gave me a rough dusty finish so a quick rub over with a green scourer that you use in the kitchen smoothed it off nicely so I'm pleased.

Now all that is needed is to add the cam, lever, and wear indicator.

Followed by a fresh set of EBC shoes.

And the rear brake is ready to go onto the hub...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote