View Single Post
Old 27-07-17, 07:58 AM   #1
Craigg

Default Advice Please: Head stock bearing tightening?

Hey All,

Looking for some help/info, to see if I've done something wrong? Bike is a K5 Naked

Couple of weeks ago i noticed that the front end was really really loose turning in, at slow speeds the front end was wanting to flop over straight away. Now i don't recall if the issue just appeared one day, or if it gradually got worse....

confirmed that the tyre pressures were right, 32psi and then investigated the steering stem by getting the front end off the ground and discovering there was basically 0 resistance, it was just freely flopping from side to side.

I couldnt make out and play or notchyness, so i put it down to the bearing needing tightened.

This is what i did:

1. Front wheel off the ground
2. loosened the fork clamps on the top yoke and removed the centre stem nut
3. Used a hammer and drift to knock the bottom adjuster nut clockwise till bar movement felt tighter (super accurate, honest!) think it was about half a turn, maybe a bit more?
4. knocked the top adjuster nut clockwise to lock the bottom nut
5. refitted stem top nut
6. lowered front end of bike and compressed forks a couple of times, then torqued the fork clamps.

now, the bike does feel better than it did, but there is still an eagerness to turn in at low speeds which doesn't feel right or nice.

I am wondering if i just need to repeat the process and tighten the bearing more (is there a way to tell when its tight enough)? or have i done something wrong in the process? or have i completely mis-diagnosed this, and i should take it to a garage?

apart from an ABBA+front lift kit, what is the best way of getting the front end up?
i had it on a rear paddock stand and then used my trolley jack under the engine.
Craigg is offline   Reply With Quote