View Single Post
Old 11-08-17, 03:19 PM   #14
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: SMIDSY (Sorry mate I DID see you) - Insurance advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Your biggest problem might be that the incident happened "some time ago"as per the OP.Your dad should have informed his insurance company of the incident even if there was to be no claim.That would have covered him against every eventuality.It might also have led to a slight increase in his next premium which is why we often fail to do it.Best to be fully open about it now and hope the scroat can be proved a liar.
Incidently,you can still be liable if there is no contact between car and bike.Known as a "proximity" incident.

Doh this is something I hadn't considered. Yes, it was a couple of months ago. My dad didn't mention to his insurer as as far as he was concerned the matter was done and dusted. Could potentially be an issue!

Yes, I'm aware of proximity incidents - this is what I was thinking when the cops thought they didn't have a duty to investigate if there was no impact... it's still an incident so I guess they do. Although in my opinion not in a scenario where everything was fine and resolved and my dad stopped to give his details and more! And this bloke ripped them up. We'll see what happens.