View Single Post
Old 26-10-20, 09:17 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: gas fire versus central heating

It is the amount of heat inside the building that is important, and keeping the damp out of walls and ceilings. If there is a room or two in the house that are cooler than the rest the hotter air ( which can hold more moisture ) will seep into them and condense water on the cooler surfaces. Having thermostatic radiator valves only works if doors are kept closed pretty much all the time and you do not have a thermostatic valve in same room as a wall thermostat. As for Alexa, Hive etc the eyewatering money their little gadgets cost will buy you a hell of a lot of gas, I can get a normal digtital room stat for <£20. As I said we have a refrigerant dehumidifier upstairs ( the warmer moister air rises ) and that keeps the humidity around 50% which keeps walls and ceilings nice and dry and the insulation properties of plasterboard are pretty good if it is dry, it also keeps bathrooms free of mould and dries the towels without them having to be near or draped over a radiator ( which defeats the object of the radiator if it is blocked off by towels and just pumping warm damp air into the house ). The dehumifier also keeps bedclothes nice and dry and free of dust mites ( the reason I got our first dehumidifier many years ago was because of a dust mite allergy, if the rooms and bedclothes are kept below about 55% the little buggers can't breed, they live off the dead skin flakes, which we all shed million of every day - it is their fecal pellets that are the allergen, not the mites themselves, although who wants something that ugly sharing their bed ? ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-10-20 at 09:21 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote