Thread: Ireland 2020
View Single Post
Old 01-07-19, 04:54 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ireland 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
If the NC500 taught me anything is that cramming loads of miles into a day leaves little time to take in the scenery, the trade off is obviously more days on the road/off work etc and more overnights (whichever flavour of accomodation you prefer, I don't do camping) I like working from a base though, as with Barmouth at the weekend.

I'd love pics if you have them I think the trip above is on the back burner for me until next easter again, it's better value for the holiday count
It's a tough call either way, as to enjoy the road /scenery is nice to ride through and stop occasionally for a photo/breather. But i found you end up stopping too much which then hinders your progress/plans. I always try to stop when there is a 'significant' change in the scenery, or a spectacular view to enjoy.

I would do it when schools are not off and it isn't a bank holiday, otherwise you will be tripping over a lot of traffic (vehicles & footfall). Plus it means the prices are usually better for accommodation and visiting places. I went in late August (mid week Weds-Friday) and the weather was still nice, roads were empty and i could do what i wanted essentially.
You need to do the Ring Of Kerry early, it gets crazy busy with Tourist coaches (which go Anti clockwise) and will be a mission to pass/deal with on some of the narrow roads around there. As does Conors Pass. Many idiots ignore the no caravans/motorhome signs and wonder why they struggle to get along the narrow road which is open to 2 way traffic!

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote