View Single Post
Old 17-04-10, 07:09 PM   #9
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Clutch replacement - how difficult?

Hey folks,

had a nightmare today while on the way to Glastonbury for a meeting. Ended up being an hour and a half late and got so annoyed the bike got dumped in the garage and we took the car.

Anyway, reason it was so messed up is because the clutch on the SV was slipping under power. However, the total mileage on the bike is only just over 8000 miles, so it seems a little odd that the clutch plates would have gone.

It felt like there was no adjustment in the cable and the bike was slipping in all gears when applying power. Got it home and tried to think of anything that could be causing this before breaking the case and fitting new plates.

First place I checked was the worm gear. This has all of the bearings inside, but was a dank little pocket of corrosion and rust. I have now removed this to clean it up and regrease the internals.

Anything else I should look at before draining fluids and popping the case off?

It seems a little odd that the clutch should go at such a low mileage, although it is mainly ridden with both of us on it and we do like to be hooligans on the motorway.

If it is the plates that have gone, is it worth upgrading to heavy duty springs and plates?

Also, while I am messing about with clutches, is there a hydraulic conversion available for the K3 650 that will allow me to get rid of the worm gear thing or can I bolt on a slave from a SV1000?

Thanks folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 17-04-10 at 07:29 PM. Reason: More research needed
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote