View Single Post
Old 10-10-23, 02:27 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650S Headlight Upgrade Opinions

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pro...ion-5-15-volts

classiccarleds are now doing the 'direct replacement LED H4' means no separate power supply or fan to worry about. They are a couple of mm longer than a standard H4 filament bulb. I have no experience of these direct fit bulbs, but the classicarleds H4 bulbs i mentioned before in this thread are still going strong in my SV 2016 single headlight and both our cars ( the SV passes MOT with the bulb fitted and both our cars used to pass beam test before they tightened the rules on 'ALL' LED retrofit bulbs - so I have to remove the LED in the cars for MOT day and refit after MOT ). The LED bulbs use 2 amps compared to 5 amps for normal filament bulbs, but I fitted a electrex world series RR to replace the standard shunt Suzuki RR, and the Electrex unit runs 30 deg C cooler than the original shunt unit even with lower draw ( or maybe because of ) with the LED bulb fitted. For the most useful light output and by far the best light to show up in daylight ( and believe me it is very visible in daylight ) I used the 6000K white in my SV...

Apparently these bulbs have very latest 'CSP' LED chips, which are very efficient and produce less heat than earlier ones, hence they do not need a fan or large heatsink, the bulb is copper cored and the heatsink is the actual body of the bulb. https://blog.betterautomotivelightin...n-smd-led-chip

There is a section in the description of these bulbs that seems to say that 'the dip beam LED remains on when the main beam is selected' - if this is true this would be a big plus on a motorbike ( and also cars ) - I have emailed the seller to check if this is true. THE SELLER CAME BACK TO ME STATING THAT THE DIP BEAM LED DOES STAY LIT WHEN MAIN BEAM IS TURNED ON..... THIS IS GREAT, I JUST ORDERED ONE FOR MY AL7...

LATE EDIT ON THE DIRECT FIT COMPACT BULB -- THE BULB IS NOWHERE NEAR AS BRIGHT AS THE PHILIPS Z=ES BULB I ORIGINALLY POSTED https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/pro...nversion-9-32v - i TRIED ON IN A CAR HEADLIGHT, TOOK THE Z-ES OUT OF ONE SIDE AND REPLACED WITH CSP - LOOKS LIKE THE LACK OF A HEATSINK MEANS THEY CANNOT DRIVE THE LED SO HARD.

The average output of a filament halogen H4 bulb is between 900 to 1100 lumens per filament of 3500K ( yellow light ), some of the super bright halogen have up to 1600 lumen of 4200K light ( but in my experience a very short life ), the compact CSP LED above have 1600 lumens of 6000K 'daylight' white light and on main beam both LED 'filaments' are alight. The Z-ES chipped LED have 4600 lumens of 6000K light. I have had the Z-ES bulbs in both our cars and my SV since early 2017 and still going strong, so a good investment.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-11-23 at 09:50 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote