View Single Post
Old 29-10-18, 06:31 AM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Suzuki X5 long term project

Well, here we go, time to bore you all rigid with one of my infamous rebuild threads.
So, way back in the day, I was a snotty nosed 16 year old that had always been around motorbikes & had big plans of owning my own one day. I wasn't going to have a moped like my mates so started to save up the deposit for a Suzuki X7 250.

Christmas 1978 and, with the money from Christmas as well as the small amount I'd saved, I walked into Websters Motorcycles in Crewe with the hope of buying a new X7. Reality struck when the owner told me that I didn't have enough money & that the insurance would be over £100 TPFT (I was earning £25 a week then). They did have an alternative, it was £100 cheaper at £675 & the insurance was a lot cheaper, so, deposit put down, HP documents signed, enter into my life, a blue Suzuki X5 200 Reg number SMB163V.
I had to wait 3 months before I could pick her up, so spent every day walking past the showroom looking at my new bike in the window until, on 2nd March 1979 I walked in, picked up the keys & rode off into the sunset. No CBT, no training, just get on & ride off. This started my proper love affair with motorcycling.

Fast forward nearly 40 years & I saw an advert on Ebay, a 1979 Suzuki GT200 in pieces for £350, which didn't sell. I made contact with the owner & secured the deal for £300 & collected it a few days later from Lancashire.

It came in handy being in pieces, it fitted straight into the back of the car , but I was taking a massive risk because I couldn't tell if everything was there

To be continued...............

Last edited by mister c; 29-10-18 at 06:34 AM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote