View Single Post
Old 08-09-17, 08:11 AM   #234
svbmx

Default Re: SVBMX Build Thread (99 SV650)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigg View Post
Is the stock swing arm going to be rigid enough for that? might want to add some bracing underneath? (like an upside down Bandit 1200)
Unsure! But if it feels like it need bracing il do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev B View Post
How about a nice single sided swing arm
Seen a few curvys with a sssa, not too keen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit8dude View Post
This is very interesting and it's really good to see you pushing the envelope with the humble SV650.
You have pulled off a stunner with the home built fairing aswell.

Making mechanical modifications that look good is far easier than aesthetic alterations like fairings, bodywork etc.

You're fairing is very elegant, and the way you have encompassed hard edged lines to the SV, which is a very rounded off aesthetic design is truly an achievement.

Your alternative shock arrangement is going to add a heavy component to the unsprung weight though. Even though the linkage arrangement could be worked out to give any wheel rate desired the addition of any unsprung weight is a step backwards in my opinion. Especially considering it is purely for aesthetic reasons of exhaust repositioning.

It will also place a relatively heavy single component further away from the C of G which gets us away from the mass centralization mantra which works so effectively on bikes.

I included two pics of a transversely mounted shock on a purpose built special. It might serve you better if it can free up some space to reroute the exhaust to where you want.
Thanks for the kind comments and concern. I like the idea of that transversely mounted shock but i dont think there's a good position on the sv for such a setup. I also concidered a buell style pull shock mounted under the engine but it would require mouting one end off of the block itself and i dont like the idea of that either. I thought about a twin shock setup too, mounted direct from swingarm to subframe. Bit old skool! But i like the openness/gap between tail and wheel and that would encroach on that space, although it would free up the space for exhaust.

I understand my design would add weight, and i agree it would be a problem if my tail end was stock, but as it's not i feel it will be ok.

My new subframe, seat, cowl, undertray, light, indicators and plate all weighed less that the stock subframe alone! Not to mention the weight of the plastics, seats, lights etc that make up the complete stock tail! Also the massive lump of weight that is the stock exhaust! The weight saved from that alone will likely cover the additional weight of the mech at the rear.

That all being said, it could make the bike ride like s**t! I guess the proof is in the pudding. For me, this is just another project. I saw a similar setup on a bmw and thought "that looks pretty damn cool", so figured i could give it a go. And the fact it would allow for the exhaust setup i want is a bonus.

Also, the plan is to make the mech with the use of a upgrade sv Nitron shock, so if all goes to s**t i can still use it in its stock position.

Last edited by svbmx; 08-09-17 at 09:15 AM.
svbmx is offline   Reply With Quote