View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 12:17 AM   #5
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Light weight flywhee mods On abudget

So we are talking about two different things here.

Firstly the Sprag Clutch. This is a one way clutch that sits on the back of the flywheel and in simple terms is used by the starter motor via the starter idle cog to turn the crankshaft and start the bike. Think of it as once the bike is firing under its own steam and thus overcoming the starter when disengaged it is no longer turning against the engine.

I've had a quick look at the part numbers from the 1st to the 2nd gen and surprisingly they are different. I say surprisingly as the engine is more or less unchanged. I suspect as I don't have one in front of me that there is a slight difference between the Sprag Clutches as thinking about it the alternators are different due to the carb vs. FI changes. Now if I were Suzuki I wouldn't want to retool to make a different part if I didn't have to. But as to what those changes are I do not know, as to if you could use a later one on an early model I do not know. However my question would be is there any benefit, is the later model Sprag Clutch any lighter?

Secondly the Flywheel or Alternator. These are different between the 1st and 2nd gen, this is due to a difference in the timing pickup needed for the carb and FI induction.

You cannot use a later model Flywheel on a first generation engine.

You can however lighten the Flywheel. This is normally done by machining the outer metal casing down while retaining the ignition pickups in order to run the engine.

You can lighten the Fly Wheel further by removing the magnets and turning the bike into a total loss system. This is only used on race bikes. If you are using the bike on the road you need the magnets to generate the electricity to run lights and such. The SV electrical system particularly on the 1st gen is a weak point and as such would not recommend any form of magnet altering for a road bike.

There are a number of machine shops and bike shops that will offer a Flywheel lightening service for road and race.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote