View Single Post
Old 28-10-07, 07:10 PM   #4
Matt Prince

Smile Re: Thinking about buying an SV650. Need opinions.

Hi,
Just to say that I did the very same thing as had a CB500 for nearly three years. I decided to change after a thrash to Bournemouth from Southampton nearly parted my head from my body due to the lack of fairing - it was very windy!
I loved my CB500 - it is the perfect commuter bike. The SV 650s I have is a much better road bike though for going greater distances. I've been around Europe twice on it.I think about buying other bikes but then everytime I get on it I think that it does everything that I could ever ask.
I bought mine (Curvy 03 reg) new just as 'pointy' was coming in. I got 1.9k for the CB and bought the SV for 4k. The CB was a Y reg which I had also had from new.The SV has been outstandingly reliable to date - I've done 11k miles The biggest difference are the much better wind protection, better top end performance and low down get up and go. I commuted throughtout the winter on the CB which took quite a hammering from road salt etc. I haven't done this on the SV although do use it on occasion when dry now.
Think about what you use your bike for - if its just for commuting then the CB with its more upright position is best ( SV is ok with the bars). If you want a bike for more road use then the SV is for you and it will be fine for commuting too! I can see myself keeping the SV for some time - it really does do everything well enough.
If you are going to keep commuting what about keeping the CB and buying an SV for weekend use?
Good luck!