View Single Post
Old 26-10-10, 08:58 PM   #1
Ed

Default AR11 - Ed's proposal - long version - image intensive

This is the long (very long in fact) version of my proposal. It will take you a while to read but it has a lot more detail, and nice piccies

Proposal to hold AR11 at Wem, Shropshire

Why Ed?
  • Co-organiser (with admin) of the highly successful AR2006 and organiser of numerous smaller rides since – for example, several Marches Meanders, Barmouth, Abersoch, and so on.
  • AR2006 was the first ‘social’ ride, where the social side of things started to matter. The social side has really taken off in recent years and my proposal is sympathetic to this, with ample opportunity for members to meet and greet, my proposal addresses how to get people to mix.
  • Great way of contributing something to my internet ‘home’.
  • If I’m successful I will involve Border Patrol members in the event, both to help organise the accommodation and the weekend generally, and to help plan the ride.
  • Responsible and measured approach - I’m one of the er older members of the org both in terms of actual age (50) and length of membership (6years).
  • I live in the area – at Baschurch, just 7 miles away, I know the area very well.
  • Would be there from the Thursday to plan, set up, liaise with campsite owner, and deal with last minute problems and emergencies

2. Haven’t we been to Shropshire before? So do we want to go there again?
  • Yes, we have, AR2006 was based at Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury. It was 5 years ago, and the membership on the board has changed dramatically, in numbers and in make-up.
  • This proposal is for the AR to be held at Wem, in a different part of Shropshire, in fact it’s almost in Cheshire, and the ride I organise would not be the same route. We wouldn’t use any of the same roads.
  • So it isn’t a re-run, it’s something completely different.
  • North Shropshire is mainly flat, and very ‘English’ – very rural, hedges, oak trees, large fields, huge skies. And very twisty roads that are really exciting

But once we get into Wales, it’s a different story! Hills, hills, hills….