View Single Post
Old 26-10-10, 09:32 PM   #4
Ed

Default Re: AR11 - Ed's proposal - long version - image intensive

5. What about people who don’t do camping?

• The site has 5 mobile homes which it rents out on a first come first served basis. They sleep six, one sleeps 8. They each have one twin bedded room, otherwise double beds.
  • Prices for 2011 aren’t fixed yet, but for 2010 they charged £197 Fri- Sun, which works out at £16.50/night each. Robert offered a small discount if we bulk book all 5. This compares with the £19/night in the dorms at AR10.
  • If people don’t want a mobile home or prefer to stop off site, there are a number of B&Bs in the area, as follows:

http://www.aston-lodge.co.uk/index.htm

This is a beautiful Georgian house, it has 8 letting bedrooms, all rooms are ensuite, typical cost per double or twin room is £70/night. It’s just under a mile from the campsite along a level road with a pavement. I don’t remember seeing streetlights though. Or

http://www.bandbtherowanswem.co.uk/home

This is a modern house, with only 2 letting bedrooms, same price. It’s a bit further away from the site, I haven’t been to investigate it.

• And a few hotels, but they are all rather more expensive. One in particular, the Soulton Hall, has a reputation for doing upmarket weddings. If I get the nod from the committee I’ll make an appointment to go inspect the B&Bs.
  • I don’t know of any bunkhouse within reasonable distance. The nearest is at Glyn Ceiriog, about an hour’s ride away, so not feasible.

6. What about the ride-out?

• There can be no doubt that Shropshire and mid and north Wales have some of the finest biking roads in the United Kingdom. I can go in any direction and have a fantastic day out. The route is not finalised yet and nor will it be until I have a better idea of numbers, I would not want to take 100+ bikes down some of the lanes that I use!!! It is simply not safe to bring 100+ bikes along twisty mountain roads and the route will recognise this. But it would be a shame to go into Wales and miss the dramatic mountain and lakes scenery. Bring your bucket and spade as we might well end up by the seaside! I like Barmouth and Aberdovey!
  • However the route is likely to go through north Shropshire, and into mid and then north Wales. As you saw above, North Shropshire is very ‘English’ – lots of twisty roads, hedges, oak trees, huge skies, mainly rural. In fact some of those pics up tops are the view from my back garden. Wales speaks for itself. Mike (Luckypants) has generously offered to help in planning a route. There will be plenty of coffee /smoke /fuel /lunch /tea stops, and a mix of roads and scenery. It will be planned so as to avoid fixed speed cameras, traffic lights, and known accident black spots.
  • Whatever, the route will offer something for everyone. Please don’t ride like a knob, you’ll spoil the day for yourself and for others, too.
  • The start will be from the camp site. I don’t like having to go some place else, and besides the camp site is a very good start point. Day-trippers would find it easy to get to. The ride will also end at the camp site. If we stop off at my place (in Baschurch, 7 miles away) for tea, and it’s a possibility as it’s likely to be on the way back, some day-tripper riders might want to leave from there.
  • West Mercia Police are OK with bikes, North Wales police has a supposedly fierce reputation. But I have never been stopped in north Wales, nope not once, and I believe that as long as people ride responsibly then there should be no problem. The usual issue is speeding through villages, ignoring 30s and 40s. This is totally unacceptable and is bound to attract adverse attention. The point would be made, firmly, at the start of the ride. Don’t be put off by old wives’ tales about North Wales. It’s really very simple, ride responsibly and you’re OK, ride like a knob, expect a tug.
  • We will need several marshals. I would be TEC as I know the likely route well. We would need to identify a lead (I have someone in mond but haven’t asked them yet though) and I would press the Border Patrol peeps as markers.

7. What if it rains?
  • Sorry I can’t control this, rain is a fact of life! However there is hard stand for the bikes, and the bar is inside. There are also several pubs in Wem. We could also have a large marquee or gazebos on the field, leccie provided as part of the deal. So we would not all be cooped up in tents, there would be plenty of foul weather shelter.
  • The ride would go ahead, whatever the weather, unless it was completely unsafe (unlikely).

8. Can I bring my mates? Can I come for the day? What if I want to come to the AR but don’t want to do the ride?
  • Yes, as long as they observe the rules. ‘Knob-faced knobsters’ are not welcome.
  • Would be nice if they registered as members on the org so we know who we’re talking to.
  • Yes you can come for the day. Please bear in mind a likely 9.30am prompt start.
  • The site has a heated outdoor swimming pool, two bars, a pool table, games machines, and so on. In Wem there are several pubs. Or you might want to ride the local roads into Shrewsbury – or get the train.

9. Sounds good to me, what are the not so goods?
  • Some noise from the nearby train line – but not much.
  • Site will not allow outside caterers – but no need for them as the on-site facilities are good.
  • Limited leccie hook up for tents and site not keen on gennies – but most wouldn’t want it anyway.
  • Still a long way for Scottish, Irish and Manx members – can’t do anything about this I’m afraid.

10. What else can you offer?
  • I liked the welcoming reception at Yeovil, a free tinnie on arrival was a fantastic surprise. If funds permit, I’d repeat that.
  • I intend to bring some home brew with.
  • Clothing – if Paul will repeat (hint!!).
  • Laminated name tags.
  • Ride might even stop off at my gaff for tea!!!!

Ed

26 October 2010