View Single Post
Old 09-03-16, 11:02 AM   #2
Cymraeg_Atodeg

Default Re: Newbie Helmet Fit - Is this normal?

Dan, firstly you did the right thing by going out and trying helmets on first. The worst thing you can do it buy a helmet that doesn't fit because you like a style or brand.

I have quite a narrow face so I wear AGV, Arai, X-lite and Bell will no issues, but, if I wear a Shoei I find they are too wide at the cheek level.

If you are getting any pain when wearing the helmet it can be one of a few things, either the helmet doesn't fit and you have the wrong shape head for that design, this isn't an issue, we all have different shape heads.
Or, it could be you have the helmet on wrong, as stupid as this sounds I have found with my X-lite I can't wear it in the same position as I wear my Arai's as they internal shape of the helmet it slightly different. Try moving the up and down, i.e. pivot it on your head holding the chin bar and mvoing it up and down but keeping your head still, if you can till the pressure is removed from your area of concern.

While helmets do "bed in" if it is causing you pain so much that it is distracting it isn't going to be something you want when riding your bike.

I was always told when trying helmets on you should get try to get as "fresh" a helmet as possible and wear it for about 15 mins in the store to see if pressure builds anywhere. The helmet you tried on, if discontinued, might have been in the store a while and be already "broken in" and that is why it didn't have the same issues as you're having now.

SportsBikeShop are great with returns, I have had a lot of good dealings with them and they are my main shop for bike gear/parts.

What you could do it say to them the issues that you're having and they might be able to offer advice.

Hope this helps.

Anthony