View Single Post
Old 03-03-13, 09:22 PM   #1
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default The Sat Nav minefield!

Just spent the last couple of hours trying to figure out which sat nav to buy. It's bloody hard to find the right solution! Apparently the 4 choices are ...

1. Buy a cheap car sat nav and put it in your tank bag clear pouch. Cheapest, easiest solution. The problems are that you have to look down, it may be harder to see, you probably can't charge it, and you always have to have a tank bag.

2. Buy a cheap car sat nav and a waterproof case and bike mount. Sounds like a good shout, but it's hard choosing the right sat nav (so many options), plus finding a case that fits it properly. Not sure if you'll be able to rig up a charger either. Seems like the best option overall price wise.

3. Use an iPhone as a sat nav and buy a posh iPhone specific case and mount. I think some of these come with charging options which is cool, but I've heard that the GPS on iPhone isn't very accurate (maybe as little as 20m). I need a really accurate sat nav, and apparently garmins etc. are better for that.

4. Buy a bike specific sat nav which will do it all great, but essentially pay 3-5 times as much as the equivalent car sat nav without getting much (if any) extra functionality. So basically have your pants pulled down in a highly degrading fashion.

I'd really appreciate some input on what people are using and what they'd recommend. My want list is:
1. Precision of GPS coordinates
2. Safe to use (so needs to mount in a good place)
3. Preferably plug-in-able so it doesnt run out of juice
4. Best value for money.

Any advise would be great!
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote